From our collections…
The Hot-Dog Vending machine
Husqvarna began experimenting with microwave technology in the late 1950’s and already in 1961 the first thoughts on an electronic hot-dog machine comes up. In November 1965 approval was granted by the National Institute of Public Health for this vending machine, which cleverly combines several different Husqvarna specialties.
One of the first machines was placed at Husqvarna itself, in the staff canteen at the Sewing machines works. It was heavily used and became very popular. In the autumn of 1966 a first batch is tested all around Sweden in places like staff canteens, petrol stations, waiting rooms, sports stadiums and the like. Being resistant to wind and rain it was also installed outdoors.
The machine was produced in two versions: The first version hade a cooling space for 400 pre-grilled and individually wrapped sausages and equally many small sachets of mustard. In another slightly less cooler area some bread rolls were kept (fewer than the sausages). The customer placed 1 Krona in the slot and after a few seconds a hot sausage and the mustard sachet. If the customer wished a bread roll with the sausage, they would place another 25 öre (1 qt. of a Krona) and a cut roll appeared.
The second version from about 1970 could store 115 pre-grilled and wrapped sausages and the same amount of bread rolls. The mustard were now placed in the bread bag. Price was now 2 Kronor but the bread roll was included. Firstly the bread and mustard appeared out of the machine and circa 15 seconds later the warmed sausage. The customer could now assemble his hot-dog, mustard and all!
Even though these machines went on some export, they never became a huge success and the production ceased later in the 1970’s. However, one machine has survived and is now for public viewing at the museum. And if you feel a bit peckish afterwards you can stay in our little café and refresh yourself. Welcome!
Today, the 22nd of November 2017 Husqvarna Ltd. celebrates its 150th anniversary as a joint-stock company. Today’s Husqvarna PLC was founded as a government-owned small arms factory in Jönköping on the 15th of February 1620. It would be managed in its old, and increasingly unmodern, form as a manufacturing organisation for about 250 years. When, in the mid-19th century Sweden adopted its first corporation law, also the small arms factory would reorganise as a limited [—]